Money, Dollars with Coins Sitting on Top


  1. Home

Wage & Hour

The Iowa Division of Labor enforces Iowa wage law, including the Iowa minimum wage. If you have not been paid what you are owed you may file a wage claim. One of the most common reasons for underpayment is illegal deductions. You may also be owed unpaid vacation, unreimbursed employee expenses or unpaid commissions.

The Iowa Division of Labor only accepts claims for wages when the following applies:

  • Less than one year (365 days) since the wages were due.
  • The amount owed must be less than $6,500.00.
  • The work was performed in the State of Iowa.
You also have the right to sue on your own or by a private attorney.

Steps in the Wage Claims Process

  1. Complete a Wage Claim Referral Form, provided in English or Spanish. 
  2. The Wage Child Labor Unit (WCLU) will review the Wage Claim Referral and begin its investigation.
  3. An Investigator will contact you for further information and explanation of the investigation process. 
  4. WCLU will take steps to collect your wages from your employer including filing a lawsuit on your behalf. 

Overtime Pay Issues

If your referral is due to overtime pay issues, contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Office, which enforces overtime law.

Common Questions

Learn more about common Wage & Hour related questions (FAQ).

Contact Information

Hours of Operation

8:00am to 4:30pm • Monday - Friday

In Person

You may schedule an appointment during regular business hours.

Department of Inspections Appeals & Licensing 
Wage Child Labor Unit
6200 Park Avenue, Suite 100
Des Moines IA, 50321-1270